Wednesday, October 25, 2017

Outward and Inward Beauty


The past few weeks, I have been thinking about fashion and how to step up my game. Jeans, a t-shirt or sweatshirt and polos are my go-to clothing items. Most days, I forget to wear jewelry. And rarely, do I wear make up.

But as some of my jeans are developing holes in the wrong places and I think about replacing them, I'm toying with the idea of buying nicer jeans that aren't second hand. I'm also contemplating ditching the t-shirts and sweatshirts.

As I am trying to decide what my new style should be, I find myself clinging to the types of clothes I've always wore. I purposely choose not to wear a necklace and lip color. I find myself justifying my decisions for this, that and the other reason. And it bugs me. 

Insert 1 Peter 3:1-6 into these contemplations.
Likewise, wives, be subject to your own husbands, so that even if some do not obey the word, they may be won without a word by the conduct of their wives, when they see your respectful and pure conduct. Do not let your adorning be external—the braiding of hair and the putting on of gold jewelry, or the clothing you wear— but let your adorning be the hidden person of the heart with the imperishable beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which in God's sight is very precious. For this is how the holy women who hoped in God used to adorn themselves, by submitting to their own husbands, as Sarah obeyed Abraham, calling him lord. And you are her children, if you do good and do not fear anything that is frightening.
I had been thinking about this passage the past few weeks, but hadn't taken the time to look it up and read it. The other day, I was wanting to listen to the Bible as I drove and randomly selected 1 Peter 3. God knew I needed to hear the passage again.

As I have been fighting my self-proclaimed need to change my wardrobe, I have become unpleasant to live with, at least inwardly. I have been so focused on changing outwardly that I have been forgetting the beauty that is most important - the inward beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit. If my inward self is ugly, there aren't any external things I can do to hide or change it. But if my inward self is beautiful in God's sight, then the outward will come naturally and compliment it.

Lord, help me to focus on You. I want to have a gentle and quiet spirit.

No comments: