Monday, October 23, 2017

Out of the mouths of two-year-olds


Children say crazy things sometimes. Lately, we've had a lot of two-year-old logic. For example, he got mad at me the other day for putting him in his bed after he fell asleep at the table. But then there are days that he astonishes me with his understanding of the world around him.

Several days ago, he asked me something about Humpty Dumpty. By the end of the conversation, he had informed me that Humpty Dumpty fell off the wall because he had pushed him. Since pushing isn't allowed at our house, I don't know why he pushed Humpty Dumpty. But it did answer a question I hadn't realized I had - why did Humpty Dumpty fall down. I have asked him why Humpty Dumpty fell several times since then, but he hasn't repeated it again. I've been a little disappointed over that.

Yesterday evening, I had put his sister to bed and was getting ready for bed. Out of the blue, my son says, "Babies don't ask questions." How do you reply to that? Seriously. "That's right" seems to be the only good response to a statement like that. After repeating the same statement several times, he asked, "Do babies ask questions?" I said, "Yes." He replied, "Very good." This child makes me laugh.

Today, he once again made my jaw want to drop. He asked me, "What is Sister's favorite animal?" Uh... Since Sister is only seven months old, I haven't figured that out yet. How do you answer a question like that? After asking me for the third time, he asked her, "Do you like a cow?" He'll have to wait a year or two to get a satisfactory answer to that question. Sister needs to learn some words first.

I love this child. And saying cute things endears him to his mommy even more. There are things about the two's that I won't miss. But I will miss the crazy things he says, his sweet, high-pitched singing, his silly-sounding mispronounced words, and above all, the hugs and kisses given out a heart of pure love.

No comments: